The Town Hall is situated on the south side of the Market Square. It was first built in 1761 and extensively remodelled and extended in 1879.
The hall owes its existence to the munificence of George Stacey Gibson, a local businessman and Mayor of Saffron Walden from 1875 – 1877. At the end of his term as Mayor, he gave the town the necessary money to rebuild the hall. A portrait of Gibson is still on display in the Assembly Room. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s the Council has carried out extensive repair and modernization works to the building.
The building consists of four public rooms for hire, kitchens, the Council Chamber and other rooms used for changing facilities for theatrical productions. The public rooms are all accessible for disabled via a lift or chair lift.
To hire the Town Hall please email firstname.lastname@example.org