The Town Hall is situated on the south side of the Market Square. It was first built in 1761 and extensively remodelled and extended in 1879.
The hall owes its existence to the munificence of George Stacey Gibson, a local businessman and Mayor of Saffron Walden from 1875 – 1877. At the end of his term as Mayor, he gave the town the necessary money to rebuild the hall. A portrait of Gibson is still on display in the Assembly Room. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s the Council has carried out extensive repair and modernization works to the building.
The building consists of four public rooms for hire, kitchens, the Council Chamber and other rooms used for changing facilities for theatrical productions. The public rooms are all accessible for disabled via a lift or chair lift.
The Assembly Room
This room is approx. 20m x 10m. At the western end is a collapsible stage.
The room is licensed for musical entertainment. For a seated reception, 150 people can be accommodated. A buffet style reception would allow up to 220 people.
The Court Room
The Court Room was used as the Town’s magistrates court until 1979, when it was remodelled. The room is approx. 10m x 8m and is suitable for a bar and reception when used in conjunction with the Assembly Room. It will seat approximately 60 people.
The Scrivener Room
This room was created in the 1990s following renovation work on the first floor, and adjoins the Court Room. Its size is approx. 8m x 5m and it is suitable for talks and slideshows. It will seat approx. 50 people. This room is not available for hire at the moment.
The Committee Room
The Committee Room is on the ground floor and incorporates a bar and a small kitchen. It is approx. 8m x 5m and will seat about 40 people and because of its location it is particularly suitable for small events open to the public. It also works as a small conference room with its own newly refurbished kitchen.
If you wish to hire any of the rooms email [email protected]