The government has introduced new voter security measures which means, for the first-time, voters will have to show photo ID at the polling station.

Acceptable ID will include a passport, photo driving licence and a national concessionary bus pass. The full list will be available on the back of the poll card.

If you do not have any of the ID required, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate that will be posted direct to your registered address. Full details of this process will be published in January.

The next elections to take place will be the local council elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in elections and it may also be helpful when you want to get credit for things such as a mortgage or loan.

Please note that paying council tax does not automatically add you to the electoral register.

The easiest way to register is to go online. Visit

Poll cards are changing

A poll card will be sent to all registered electors at the end of March. These will now be A4 sized and delivered in an envelope. The poll card is still for information purposes and not a requirement for voting.

Polling stations will be open 7am to 10pm on Thursday 4 May 2023 – however, if you would prefer you can apply for a postal or proxy vote. You can download the application form from our website or contact email us at or call on 01799 510510.

Further information can be found by visiting either or

Do you want to earn some extra money?

We are always looking for people to assist at the elections and these are our main roles we recruit for.  Anyone we do not appoint stays on our database for last minute appointments or for future polls:

  • Polling station staff – work in a team to administer the polling station from 6.15am to 10pm on election day
  • Counting assistants – helping to sort and count ballot papers from 9.30am on Friday 5 May at our count venue – the Lord Butler Sports Centre, Saffron Walden

For full details on working at elections and to apply, please visit or email

Are you passionate about your local area?

You could be a local councillor and help make a difference in Uttlesford. Almost anyone can be a councillor, as an independent or as a member of a political party.

Details about how to stand for election for the District or the Parish Council can be found on Uttlesford District Council’s website and the Electoral Commission’s website.