Located in Saffron Walden High Street near the junction with Castle Street and to the west of St Mary’s Church, the garden is developed on the site of a house from the year 1600. The gardens were originally opened to the public in 1937 after a public appeal for funds to purchase the land was held and after the house within them was taken down and moved to West Sussex. Since 2004 the Town Council has been responsible for their maintenance and refurbished the garden in 2007.

More information may be obtained from Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre (01799) 524002 visitsaffronwalden.gov.uk