All play equipment and safety surfacing installed by the Town Council meets current day Health and Safety requirements and conforms to the relevant European standards. All equipment is checked on a weekly basis and has rigorous engineering checks every six months.
The play equipment at the Golden Acre Play Area was installed in 2004.
There has been play equipment on the Common since the 1930s. The Town Council regularly review and update this equipment. New play pieces were added in May 2004
Anglo American Memorial Playing Fields
The Anglo American Memorial playing fields were opened in 1954 and serve as the town's memorial to the men killed fighting from air bases throughout the area. New equipment was installed in 2001 and 2012. In 2003 the Town Council also created a basketball court, suitable for use by both the able bodied and the disabled.
Little Walden Playing Field is situated at the rear of Petlands.